Waiheke Island’s Mātiatia Plan underway
Increased car parking and improved transport facilities could be on the cards for an iconic section of Waiheke Island as the first steps of a detailed plan are undertaken.
The Mātiatia Plan will be developed in two stages. Firstly, principles and outcomes and an overall plan will be delivered. Secondly, testing with key stakeholders and public consultation will take place on a more detailed plan.
The headline findings of these surveys as reported and analysed on Direction Mātiatia’s website included that:
- 84% of respondents wanted improved transport facilities
- 63% said car parking should be increased
- 70% supported limited development such as a visitor centre
- 80% didn’t want any residential development, visitor accommodation or an events centre
- 88% wanted green open space especially around the foreshore
- 79% supported better protection of the natural environment and ecology
- 85% of respondents knew that parts of the land at Mātiatia is sacred to Ngati Paoa.