Plan for world-leading aquaculture industry
The Government has committed to working alongside the aquaculture industry to deliver economic growth and jobs for the regions as part of an ambitious goal for it to become a $3 billion industry by 2035.
Fisheries Minister Stuart Nash says, “The strategy will build on that foundation, setting out a plan for Government to support the industry over the next seven years, built around objectives and actions needed to realise a productive, sustainable, resilient, and inclusive aquaculture industry.”
Alongside the $3 billion goal, the New Zealand Aquaculture Strategy focuses efforts on:
- the development of sustainable open ocean and land-based farming
- increasing farm efficiency
- increasing product value and environmental performance in existing inshore farming
- building resilience to environment change
- supporting the development and adoption of new technologies and practices to reduce the industry’s contribution to was and emissions.