New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme reforms announced
The Government and farming sector leaders have agreed to a world-first partnership to reduce primary sector emissions in one of the most significant developments on climate action in New Zealand’s history.
Farming leaders and the Government have announced a plan to join forces to develop practical and cost-effective ways to measure and price emissions at the farm level by 2025 so that 100 per cent of New Zealand’s emissions will be on the path downwards.
The 5-year joint action plan includes:
- Improved tools for estimating and benchmarking emissions on farms
- Integrated farm plans that include a climate module
- Investment in research, development and commercialisation
- Increased farm advisory capacity and capability
- Incentives for early adopters
- Recognition of on-farm mitigation such as small plantings, riparian areas and natural cover
See more on Action on agricultural emissions