Call for expressions of interest for appointment as an Environment Judge (Christchurch)
The Attorney-General wishes to hear from suitably qualified persons who would like to be considered for appointment as an Environment Judge. In addition to appointment to that position the successful candidate will also be appointed a District Court Judge. To be eligible for appointment candidates must have held a practising certificate as a barrister or solicitor for at least seven years.
Appointments to the Environment Court are made by the Governor-General on the recommendation of the Attorney-General following consultation with the Minister for the Environment and Minister of Māori Affairs.
The Attorney-General is conscious of the value of increasing diversity on the District Court bench generally and therefore seeks to encourage expressions of interest from qualified women as well as those from under-represented ethnic groups.
All eligible persons who complete an expression of interest form will be considered. Appointments are based on merit. The criteria for appointment include:
- Demonstrated knowledge and wide application of the law, in particular the Resource Management Act 1991, and overall high quality as a lawyer demonstrated in a relevant legal occupation.
- Personal qualities such as honesty and integrity, impartiality, good judgement and the ability to work hard.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to absorb and analyse complex and competing factual and legal material.
- Awareness and sensitivity to the diversity of New Zealand society.
- Knowledge of cultural and gender issues.
A copy of the document setting out the process and criteria for appointment and a copy of the Expression of Interest form are available at https://www.justice.govt.nz/about/statutory-vacancies/
Persons interested in appointment are asked to complete an Expression of Interest form, provide a Curriculum Vitae and submit them to the Judicial Appointments Unit by 5pm on Friday, 29 May 2020.
The appointee will not take up the role until October 2020.
All expressions of interest will be handled with the highest degree of confidentiality.