Horizons Regional Council : Senior Policy Planner
- Challenging and varied work across fresh water, land use, biodiversity, and climate change.
- Opportunities to lead significant areas of regional policy development.
- Supportive team environment; flexible working arrangements possible.
The Horizons region extends over 22,200km2 – from Ruapehu in the north and Horowhenua in the south, to Whanganui in the west and Tararua in the east. It’s a landscape as vast and varied as the over 240,000 people who call it home. At Horizons Regional Council we work to make our region a great place to live, work and play.
This role will require you to balance planning expertise with an understanding of what works on the ground. It will allow you to play a leading part in the review our existing resource management plan and in the design of new policies. Work content will be varied, including local application of national freshwater policy, our response to climate change, and other issues as they arise. We will look to you for advice on statutory processes and plan content.
You’ll have a drive to make a difference for our community and the environment, and be keen to work through complex issues that have no easy answer. This role will require you demonstrate strong critical thinking skills, and a willingness to work as part of the team to turn Government policy into workable regulation and programmes. You’ll have an ability to write for different audiences – and you’ll be able to quickly absorb, adapt and translate information for those who need it. You will need strong interpersonal skills, as well as good time management, to deliver results.
Ideally you will be an experienced policy planner with a couple of plan-change processes under your belt. An understanding of economics, Mātauranga Māori, or social science would put you at a definite advantage.
If you communicate well, enjoy juggling multiple priorities, and can turn policy intent into plan provisions, we’re keen to hear from you.
Why should you apply?
When you join us, you can look forward to a rewarding career full of opportunities to develop, along with a positive and supportive work environment. We do this through:
- Strong focus on employee health, wellness and wellbeing
- Flexible family friendly work environment
- Assistance with tertiary education
- Positive health and safety culture
- Skills and job specific development programmes across different functional jobs; and
- A supportive and social work environment where enduring friendships and collegiality develop.
Applications close 9am Sunday 10th January 2021.
For more information and to apply please follow attached link https://horizons.qjumpersjobs.co/jobs/details/Senior_Policy_Planner-1038712