Environment and Planning Law Seminar
An opportunity for all RMLA members to take advantage of an early bird rate of $365 until the date of the seminar.
To redeem the early bird rate after Friday 19 October please call 09 3633322 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and quote your RMLA membership.
Date: Thursday 1 November 2018
Time: 2.00pm to 5.15pm
Venue: Grand Mercure Auckland, 8 Customs Street East, Auckland
Attend and earn 3 CPD Hours
National Planning Standards, RMA, water and a key case update with significant ramifications, all analysed and broken down into practical takeaways for you. If that’s not reason enough for you to attend and catch up on what’s new in planning and environment law, then come to hear from an unparalleled line-up of leading experts in the area who will share their experience and expertise with you and ensure you’re up-to-date with the latest in environmental law practice.
Chair: Derek Nolan QC, Bankside Chambers
2.00pm to 2.45pm
National Planning Standards: The Good, the Bad and the Issues
- Genesis: background and statutory basis for the Standards
- Aim: rationale for, and objectives of, the Standards
- Overview: what the Standards do and don’t cover
- Issues: implementation timing, resourcing, coverage, consistency, unintended effects and more
- Next steps: revision, gazettal and implementation
Presented by Vicki Morrison-Shaw, Partner, Atkins Holm Majurey Limited
2.45pm to 3.30pm
CASE STUDY: The High Court in R J Davidson Family Trust v Marlborough District Council  NZHC 52
- Case law prior to the decision
- The Court’s reasoning
- Implications resource consent applications and drafting RMA plans
- The Court of Appeal decision
Presented by Ezekiel Hudspith, Senior Associate, Kensington Swan
3.30pm to 3.45pm Afternoon Tea Beak
3.45pm to 4.30pm
Short Term RMA Reform: “Rolling Back” the Resource Legislation Amendment Act 2018
- The key issues with the RLAA
- Why the need for short term reform: Is this just “more tinkering”?
- Summary of suggested amendments
- Where to from there?
Presented by Helen Andrews, Partner, Berry Simons Environmental Law
4.30pm to 5.15pm
Water: The New Battle Ground
- Analysis of key challenges
- Where is water reform heading?
Presented by Daniel Minhinnick, Partner, Russell McVeagh
- Understand how the National Planning Standards and RMA are being applies
- Catch up on current environmental issues and significant cases
- Examine water issues and proposed reforms
When: 01 November 2018
Time: 2:00 pm - 5:15 pm
Where: Grand Mercure Auckland