Legalwise : Environmental Law: Critical Reforms and Cases
A fundamental shake up to the New Zealand environmental framework, policies, regulations and laws is coming. Be ready as an environmental professional and stay up to date with the latest legal and practical understanding of resource management, environmental planning, case law and climate change. Don’t miss out on hearing from the Auckland Council and leading environmental and resource management practitioners as they share valuable insights into the current environmental landscape.
Chair: Derek Nolan QC, Bankside Chambers
2.00pm to 2.45pm
RMA Reform: Changes to the Act
- Rationale for and progress of the RMA Amendment Bill 2019
- Where to for the resource management system?
- The Government’s Review Panel
- The Environmental Defence Society’s Resource Management Reform Project
- How will the 2020 general election influence the reform programme?
Presented by Helen Andrews, Partner, Berry Simons Environmental Law
2.45pm to 3.30pm
Climate Change Reforms
Critically examine the changes that are necessary to bring effective climate change response through the RMA, so that both climate change litigation and adaptation are addressed through local authority decision making.
Presented by Martin Williams, Barrister, Shakespeare Chambers
3.30pm to 3.45pm Afternoon tea
3.45pm to 4.30pm Panel Discussion
Reforms to Water Management
Discuss the current reforms to water management. Hear from the Auckland Council and leading environmental and resource management experts.
Facilitator: Derek Nolan QC, Bankside Chambers
Janette Campbell, Partner, Meredith Connell
Helen Atkins, Director, Atkins Holm Majurey
Dave Allen, Manager, Natural Environment Strategy, Auckland Council
4.30pm to 5.15pm
Environmental Case Law Update
Look into the most interesting and significant resource management cases, with a focus on the practical implications of those decisions.
Presented by Daniel Minhinnick, Partner, Russell McVeagh
Attend and earn 3 CPD hours
- Examine the recent reforms of the RMA
- Understand the developments in climate change reform
- Consider the reforms to water management and its impact on legal practice, and receive valuable insights from the Auckland Council
- Reflect on recent and significant resource management cases and discuss the practical implications of those decisions
RMLA members are offered the early bird rate of $365 until the date of the seminar and this reduced rate can be applied on the website with the promotional code: 20329RMLA.
To register for find out more, please go to: https://legalwiseseminars.com.au/nz/course-2/?eventtemplate=870-environmental-law-critical-reforms-and-cases&event
When: 25 March 2020
Time: 2:00 pm - 5:15 pm